Student Handbook Download Here
- Rehearsals are very important to the success of any performance but also they are very important for the fulfilling experience we hope all the dancers have. Being comfortable and well prepared on stage is the key to fully enjoying the performance experience.
- Many times parents let their children skip rehearsals because of outside activities that conflict. We ask all parents to review the rehearsal schedules as they are posted well ahead of time and mark your calendars. We want all the children to be well prepared for their dances and this can only be accomplished by attending the very important rehearsals leading up to the performance.
- Alexander, as the Artistic Director, needs all the dancers to attend the Saturday rehearsals before each performance as this is the time she puts all the dances together and makes adjustments. Also this is the first time for most of the dancers to get a feel for the entire full-length ballet.
- Dancers, like any athlete, need a “goal”; something to work toward and a venue to showcase their skills. We strongly support this theory and therefore we, at Sun Valley Ballet make it a priority to give our dancers as many performances as possible each season.
- Performances are the “goal” for dancers. It’s like a ski race for skiers or a soccer game for soccer players. We strive to make the performances a wonderfully rich and rewarding experience for everyone involved. This can be achieved only if everyone takes seriously the responsibilities that are expected of all dancers and parents.
A few of these responsibilities are:
- Attending all mandatory rehearsals. Mark your calendars well ahead of time and prioritize these very important rehearsals.
- Observing and taking seriously all call times for rehearsals and performances.
- Observing and taking seriously all theater etiquette.
Parent and Volunteer Responsibilities
Sun Valley Ballet is a non-profit organization that is dedicated to providing superior dance instruction and continuing performance opportunities for the student dancers.
- Volunteers have always been the backbone of Sun Valley Ballet and the School productions. We have always tried to make it a fun community effort by soliciting the combined efforts of all the parents. This way the “job” of putting on performances is not a burden on any one individual. Before each performance we ask all parents to take the time to review the volunteer sign up sheets and give the School as much time as you comfortable can. Our December shows we request that parents volunteer for two time slots. The Spring Showcase we ask for parents to fill in for one time slot. If everyone plans on helping at these crucial times, the productions will run smoothly and no one person will feel terribly put out. There are many different jobs that need to be done and usually there is something that fits everyone’s expertise in some way. Please plan on making this a commitment as you sign up your child this season.
- Remember … volunteering with all the parents can be a fun and rewarding experience for you as well. Look at this as a time to get to know the other parents and to fully participate in your child’s fun performance experience. I, as School Director always look forward to this time as a way for us to also get to know the parents better and it certainly makes our jobs more fun as we see the parents enjoying their personal involvement.
- Because Sun Valley Ballet is a non-profit organization, we look at all our performances as an opportunity to raise funds for our operating expenses. Purchasing tickets for the performances is a wonderful and painless way to contribute to the funding of this very special School. Reserved seating is always offered to the parents well before the tickets go out to the public. We hope that as many of you as possible will take this opportunity to purchase these special seats and know that you are helping to keep the School in operation.
Thank you for everything you do and will do for our very special School.